According to a new global passport ranking, New Zealand’s passport is the most powerful in the world.
However, the Passport Index ranks passports based on where citizens who hold them can travel. But this includes looking at where they can travel visa-free, or where tourist visas apply.
Although, there are 193 UN countries as well as six other territories in this ranking.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, there have been new travel restrictions put in place. But there is no effect of these new restrictions on the rankings. However, due to the nature of the pandemic, they are both temporary and subject to change.
Moreover, the ranking does not take into consideration when a government advises its citizens against travel.
However, New Zealand currently boasts the world’s most powerful passport, as its residents can travel to 129 countries.
No International Travel
Presently, the government of New Zealand is not allowing its citizens to travel to international countries. Therefore, they will not be able to make use of this power just quite yet.
Meanwhile, the UK took the fourth spot on the list with 126 countries available for traveling.
However, Brits are currently subject to the Foreign Office’s travel advice, which includes all but essential travel to a host of destinations.
However, in some countries, the UK is considered a ‘high risk’ country due to its numbers of coronavirus cases. For example, South Africa recently re-opened its borders to tourists. But British tourists were not allowed yet.
Moreover, the UK was not the only country to take the fourth spot. However, it was in a joint place with the Netherlands, Denmark, Portugal, Lithuania, Norway, Iceland, and Canada.
Therefore, the full list of global passport rankings is given below.
List of Global Passport Rankings
1. New Zealand
2. Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Ireland, Japan, South Korea, Australia
3. Sweden, Belgium, France, Finland, Italy, Spain
4. Netherlands, Denmark, Portugal, Lithuania, Norway, Iceland, UK, Canada
5. Malta, Slovenia, Latvia
6. Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Poland, Hungary, Liechtenstein
8. Cyprus, Croatia, Monaco
9. Romania, Bulgaria
10. San Marino, Andorra, Uruguay
12. Vatican City
13. United Arab Emirates
16. North Macedonia
19. Bosnia and Herzegovina
21. Malaysia, the USA
24. Barbados, Russian Federation, Turkey
26. Hong Kong, Chile
28. St Kitts and Nevis, Brunei
29. The Seychelles, Mexico
30. Antigua and Barbuda
32. St Vincent and the Grenadines, Mauritius, Costa Rica
33. Trinidad and Tobago
34. Macao, Qatar
36. Saint Lucia, Kuwait, Paraguay
38. Dominica, South Africa
39. Grenada, Solomon Islands
40. Belize, Jamaica, Fiji, Venezuela
41. Tawain, Bahrain, Ecuador
42. Vanuatu, El Salvador, Colombia
43. Tuvalu, Tonga, the Maldives, Samoa
44. Nicaragua, Belarus, Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan
45. Botswana, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Guyana, Guatemala, Oman
47. Lesotho, Tunisia, China
48. Nauru, Bolivia
49. Eswatini, Malawi, Zambia, Azerbaijan, Indonesia, Micronesia, Suriname
50. Ghana, Namibia, Palau
51. Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Papua New Guinea
52. Cuba, Morocco, Thailand
53. Armenia, Kyrgyzstan
54. Zimbabwe, Uganda, Cote d’Ivoire
55. Gambia, Senegal, Cape Verde, Uzbekistan
56. Sierra Leone, Mozambique, Sao Tome and Principe, Dominican Republic
57. Burkina Faso, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste
58. Benin, Gabon, India, Jordan, Algeria
59. Niger, Guinea-Bissau, Philippines, Mongolia, Bhutan
60. Guinea, Mauritania, Madagascar, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Egypt
61. Mali, Togo, Angola, Burundi, Turkmenistan, Cambodia
63. Chad, Central African Republic, Vietnam
64. Congo, Laos, Comoros
65. Nigeria, Kosovo, Sri Lanka, Congo, Dijbouti, Haiti
67. Bangladesh, South Sudan
68. Ethiopia, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Eritrea
69. Myanmar, North Korea
71. Palestinian Territories, Iran
75. Afghanistan, Iraq